Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Arriving in England

To all you Yanks out there, welcome to our family Blog, we are officially in England!! Oklahoma was great, however, it will not compare to the adventures that await us!

The flight over was surprisingly good. The kids slept (for the most part), we had a lot of space and we ended up sitting next to Logan's new bosses family who were also moving to England. His wife invited me to drink wine and enjoy her daughters as my new babysitters. I really enjoyed leaving the sunset and less than an hour later fly into the sunrise, which was beautiful by the way! Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep the night before or on the flight so when we arrived I was exhausted. I was numb to the fact that we were in England. The kids and I slept from the Airport to our flat. I woke up for the last 10 minutes of the drive and had a few moments of anxiety as our cab driver was driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of a narrow road (according to this American) and flew past another vehicle.

On that note I have found myself very dissappointed in the cars. They are not near as small as everyone said. They are the same size as American cars. There are some really small funny looking cars but they are in America too. The lorry, however, is a bit smaller than semi trucks in America.

Logan and I got a rental car yesterday. Very interesting and exciting driving on the left side of the road. We had a lot of fun trying to figure out how it all works. I only had to remind Logan that he was on the wrong side of the road once. Exact quote "wrong side, wrong side, wrong side!" 

The faucets in our loo are interesting. The left knob is hot and the right, cold. Not any different from America. However, it's really two faucets in one. The left stream comes out hot and cold on the right side in two separate streams. Basically when you run your hand under the faucet one side of your hand is scorched and the other freezing.

We went to the town center of Newmarket yesterday and let me just say, I loved it! Logan went into the butcher shop to break a 20 pound bill. The butcher handed Logan his change with his bloody hands (literally, I am not using British slang when I say "bloody").


I almost forgot to tell you all about the stinking pigeons. They are quite large and noisy. At first I asked Logan who was saying "Wahoo....., who.., who..", he said "Welcome to England, those are the pigeons, wait till you see how big they are.". 

I will post photos of the sights soon!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.