My friend Erin invited me to train for and run a half marathon in Scotland at the end of May. I was hesitant at first because at the time I could barely run 3 miles. I decided, what the heck, might as well, right? We started training in January. I was amazed at how quickly you can actually tack on the miles. When it came time to run in Edinburgh, Scotland, my husband was deployed and I was 12 weeks pregnant and had only ran up to 7.5 miles. Again, I decided, what the heck, let's go kids! So off we went on our Scotland adventure.
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
We took the train and got there in 4.5 hours! Once we got there and tried to figure out the bus schedule, we only to get on the wrong bus twice and finally ended up calling a cab. We finally arrived at The Dalmahoy Marriott in Edinburgh. All day long I promised Liberty a swimming pool for all her suffering. Even though it was late, we ordered room service, ate dinner, and went swimming!
I really LOVED our hotel, it was updated but had a lot of character!

Day 2: We joined our friends on a tour bus for a little site seeing around Edinburgh. My kids were quite the troopers. Not only were they tired from the travels and getting in late, but the tour bus lady made them sit on their bums the whole tour and they weren't able to see over the sides so they were a little grumpy about it but took it in stride.
The sites were beautiful and thanks to my pal, I have lots of photos to share!
(My hands were tied with my kidos.)
View from the train station. Edinburgh Castle on the Right.
Back side of Edinburgh Castle.
Main entrance to the castle. (Photo by: Erin Smith)
Little Berry liked the cannons.
Bean posing inside the castle walls.
View from the top of the castle. (Photo by: Erin Smith)
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
Seriously disgusting. When people stayed here they were given a pig to keep there beds and clothing warm!
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
Gotta love the U.K. Taxi's!
At one point I lost my bus ticket so I stayed behind while Little Berry went with our friends Erin and Jake to the next stop. I was supposed to be right behind them but we had some minor mix ups. When I got to my next stop I was in such a hurry to hop off and was focussed on getting the stroller off the bus that I left my back pack on the bus. (There are a ton of those tour buses on that city.) My pack had my phone, money, camera, etc.... I went to try to meet up with our friends but they had decided to see other things and texted me but I was with out a phone so I didn't get it. Anyway, I walked down to the main tour bus stop and was able to get my pack back and by that time Erin and her family came back and that was the end of our day.
At the bottom of the drive to our hotel a really fat little pony occupied the pasture. The first day we walked past the pony it was near the fence so we fed it some treats that we had on hand. (A granola bar and some cookies.) The second day the pony was down in the pasture further but could still see us, I yelled "PONY" and it came running! We gave it apples and whatever other treats we had. The third day the pony wasn't in site but we thought we would try to yell for it again, "PONY", "PONY", "PONY", and though it took a little longer that pony came running at full speed to meet us at the gate and collect her treats.
By the end of day 2 that little girl had had it! She was officially getting sick of being drug around and came down with a cold. Unfortunately the weather wasn't very forgiving the next day, the day of the race. However, even though they endured so much, Little Berry still asks when we can go back to that hotel with the swimming pool and the pony!
There were a TON of people in Edinburgh to run!
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
The weather was off and on but mostly off. It was cold for the little ones and wet for everyone.
With all my bathroom stops I came up to what looked like the end of the run and a little girl shouted "Only four miles to go!", and I was already done! I ran about another mile after that. Walked quite a bit and jogged what I had left in me to finish the run. Needless to say I was exhausted but happy to have been there! It was a beautiful run! Unfortunately, I accidently erased the photos I took during the run.
Erin and I. Thanks buddy! I couldn't have done it with you!
Here are a few shots of the country side. Very beautiful!
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
(Photo by: Erin Smith)
What I will remember most about Scotland other than it's beauty is how kind and generous the people are. I have never traveled to a more welcoming country. Also, gotta love their accents!

















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.